So to honor cake decorators everywhere, I re-submit the following humorous list of "You Might be a Cake Civilian if ........" characteristics!!
You Might be a Cake Civilian if......
- You buy cakes, but don't make them.
- You think "it's just cake".
- You think they come out of the oven all decorated.
- You think a 6 tier wedding cake is baked the morning of the wedding.
- You understand that a 3-tier, fondant covered, 2 flavor cake covered with gumpaste flowers wedding cake is expensive ... but you think a 3-tier, fondant covered, 2 flavor cake covered with gumpaste flowers birthday cake shouldn't cost more than twenty bucks .... "Because it's JUST a birthday cake!"
- You think you can save a delivery fee and pick up a 3-tier cake yourself .... and that it will ride "just fine!" on the front seat of your car.
- You order a full sheet cake for a party of 15 people even though you have no idea how big a full sheet cake is but you use the term because you heard it somewhere. (Note: A full sheet serves 100 people)
- You think a "simple" cake is cheaper. (The reason it's not is because you don't know what "simple" is in cake-world!)
- You try to order a custom-designed multi-tiered cake the day before your event. (Notice I said "TRY" to order!)
- You've tried to order a cake and used the phrase "But I saw them do it on TV!"
- You called at noon to order a cake carved to look like a Model-T Ford .... to be served at dinner at 5:00 p.m. and can't figure out why the baker on the other end of the phone is laughing so hard. (This one actually happened to me. I told the guy, "Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make one of those?")
- You want a 5-tier cake because it looks great, but only want to pay for the 25 servings you actually need.
- You think a styrofoam fake-cake is free or ungodly cheap because that's what all the magazines tell you.
- You will leave a loaf of bread on your counter for days and days, but won't eat a cake because it's not fresh anymore since it's more than 4 hours old.
- You think all cakes are $14.95 because that's what Walmart sells them for.
- You're not a cake civilian when you can read this list and laugh because you know people who believe all of these things!
After reading this, I have come to the conclusion that I am definitely a cake civilian. I remember at my wedding, I was put in charge of the catering, and I had no clue what I was doing. It just made no sense to me really. There were just so many options! http://www.ocweddingsplanner.com/Caterers-and-Beverage-ServicesReplyDelete
You are completely right dear; I would like to be a part of NYC events and I really appreciate your efforts. So thanks for sharing it here and giving me a chance to be a part of it.ReplyDelete
I was laughing so hard!!!ReplyDelete
I am dealing with a person who wants a cake for 30 but with like 5 tiers and she is upset because I just messaged her that the first tiers WILL be fake LOL